Review the following to help you evaluate and bring your “NATURE” more in-line with your goals.
The environment of nature is our natural surroundings. Often these are things we cannot control; the in’s and out’s of life. What is presented each day…
- Life – The process of existence. The evolving stages from birth to death. What happens to you in those stages. How it impacts you. This includes uncontrollable things such as: puberty, menopause, aging, lay-offs, family development, in-laws, health challenges (poor eyesight, tumors, low metabolism, etc.), accidents, deaths, etc. Also any things that create major life transitions or priority shifts like: marriage, becoming a new parent, subsequent births, kids in college, divorce, remarriage, career change, retirement, etc.
- Seasons – This is the “time” of the year (often correlating with the weather) and the impacts the “time” has on you. It is different depending on where you live, but seasons exist everywhere, they are just marked by different things. For example,
- Winter is often cold, cloudy and people spend more time inside.
- Summer is usually busy, time for vacations, sunny, hot, etc.
- Fall is school, time for new routines, leaves change, etc.
- Spring has flowers, rainy, warm after winter chill, outside more, etc.
The seasons affect your mood (people are often more tired / depressed in the winter or on cloudy days). The seasons affect body (rain usually brings out more arthritis and aches and pains.). The seasons affect your routines and patterns (activities you might do: going to park, walks, BBQ’s, visit with neighbors, etc.) The seasons can have very quiet changes that really make a difference in how we operate.
- Outdoors – This is the opposite of inside. The beauty of God’s natural earth. Outdoors are about:
- Natural light and fresh air (why so many prefer to work by windows),
- Air and stimulation from lush plants (why we have “house plants”)
- Amazing creation seen in forests, beaches, mountains, etc. that brings relaxation
- Places that stimulate you for enjoyment, beauty, refreshment, etc.
- Serenity that comes from sounds of the outdoors (why we have so many CD’s and radios with outdoor nature sounds)
- Sun rays that give light, energy, warmth and time measures.
- Reflection of the moon & star light, that we enjoy in the quiet of the night
- Enjoying the environment in which we live….
The outdoors is so activating that there is a big push in the corporate community right now for the true tropical environment. By bringing nature inside creativity is stimulated. There is also a growing awareness around using recycled or natural outdoor materials for indoor structures (i.e. concrete and recycled vinyl). This will serve to protect the environment more and lessen the destruction of the earth. The destruction of the earth through manufactured products can be a block for some people as they sit in their environment and worry about how they are contributing to the deterioration of the earth. This may seem odd, but really, think about it. We have calendars and big framed art with scenery. We have soundtracks with nature noises. We have retreats to the beach and mountains for get away trips. We have indoor water fountains (simulate running water), fans (create air movement/wind), and plants – both live and artificial – just for the lush green look! Whatever it is, whether bringing the outdoors indoors or simply getting out to enjoy the outdoors – it is a place of stimulation and inspiration.
FOCUS: Write your main goal: ____________________________________________________________
- What is going on in your life?
- What are the uncontrollable life factors affecting you right now?
- What are the life transitions or priority shifts that are impacting you right now?
- How are the parts of life impacting you?
- What factors are you trying to ignore?
- What factors about life are you tolerating that are keeping negative energy in your body?
- What are the life factors that are impeding or blocking your goal progress?
- What life factors are supporting your goal accomplishment?
- What life factors do you need to give some attention?
- Where do you need to give yourself a break?
- Think about how you are in each season.
- How would you describe each season?
- How do you feel in this time?
- What do you do?
- What is the worst thing about this season?
- What is the best part or thing about this season?
- How can your goal be supported in each season?
- How is your goal challenged in each season?
- What do you need to be alert to in different seasons? (notice the impact on you)
- How can you creatively leverage the seasons to accomplish your goals?
- How are you bringing the outdoors inside to stimulate or inspire you?
- What is important to have in your indoor environment that keeps the outdoors alive?
- What part of the outdoors would you like to bring in?
- How often are you getting outside for refreshment?
- When would you like to get outside? (favorite time)
- How do you want to be outside? (walking, sitting, eating, etc.)
- Where is a rejuvenating place for you to go?
- What parts of nature have a big draw for you? (sounds, site, smells, etc.)
- Do you have an “inspirational” spot you can go, even in your mind to imagine it when stressed… mental get away? Do you have a photo reminder of that place?
- What pictures would you enjoy having inside?
- Go outside right now. What do you hear, smell, see? Just sit for 10 min. and soak it in and enjoy it. We get so busy we forget to stop and enjoy the nature around us.
- How can the outside support your goal success?
- Think about what stimulates you outside and identify how you can put yourself in a position to be regularly motivated and stimulated by the outdoors.
How does nature support you? How does it hold you back? What do you need to add, take out or change in your environment that will support your growth and steps toward you goal?
- Review this environment
- Schedule a coaching call if you want additional support
- Explore the questions for yourself & the brainstorm re: your goal
- Start to identify some ways to support your goal through the environment of nature
- Write questions you have
- Draft a few steps you could take this week to move you closer to your goal!
Keep Charging & Shine!
Christy Geiger, Executive/Leadership Coach, www.synergystrategies.com